"Agisci in modo che le conseguenze della tua azione siano compatibili con la permanenza di un'autentica vita umana sulla terra". "Includi nella tua scelta attuale l'integrità futura dell'uomo come oggetto della tua volontà". Hans Jonas, Il principio responsabilità

giovedì 5 aprile 2012

CLIL - Teaching Geography in English: what on earth was I thinking when I came up with the idea?

CLIL is an acronym for Content Language Integrated Learning. That is, teaching a specific subject, like Geography for instance, in English (or any other language) as a second language. Sounds great, doesn't it?

In my school, during a meeting among teachers of Lettere, that is Italian, History and Geography, Latin and Greek (yes, we do teach all these subjects in Liceo Classico in Italy, just in one person!) I volunteered for teaching Geography in English next year, at ginnasio level (i.e. the first two years of Grammar school). I mean, I came up with the idea and offered to try and teach Geography in English next year, I don't even know whether my proposal can or will be accepted.
And, on second thought, I don't even know why I came up with such a brilliant idea.
The task looks exceedingly difficult and time consuming, all the hard extra work being on a totally volunteer basis, no money or economic incentives of any kind in sight. And I don't even know whether I will ever really do it!
Nonetheless, I love English and I like Geography (here), and I probably need challenging things to do, or dream of doing.
And so here I am, brushing up my English and looking up for new teaching materials, mainly using the internet so far. For the moment I found this. Any suggestions? Of any kind?
As I'm studying... and practising, from now on I might come up with some odd posts in English, like this one, in order to clear up or focus my mind, and above all practise the language. Hope I didn't make too many mistakes this first time...

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento